Thursday 6 September 2012

Spending the Last Moments Together

What will you do if you know your days are numbered?

How will you spend your time with your loved ones and close friends?

Will you have a bucket list and do all the things you deemed crazy but now that you know death is surely looming near, suddenly they don't seem too crazy anymore like bungee jumping and touring the world in 80 days, that's nearly three months, errr maybe it's part of their wish to die a traveller.

How about if you know someone you love and care about is nearing death? Say, less than six months to live.

*takes a deep breath*

I would want to do all I can for that person and spend all the time I can with him/her. Screw those who says Quality is better than quantity. When someone's days are numbered, quantity matters, every second of it!

No matter how painful, relationships, no matter how close or good, will end either via separation or death. Why is it so difficult to accept death? Attachment and feelings of love, but that is another topic.

If I know someone close has less than six months to live, I shall not repeat the same thing I did when my beloved grandpa was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and passed away just before my wedding reception.

Back then I only flew back about four times in a span of 5 months to see grandpapa. I wasn't even at his death bed. I cried and wanted to return for the funeral when they told me a bride-to-be cannot attend a funeral so close to her wedding. Somehow, I got my wish and attended his funeral and delivered my grandpapa's eulogy. I still miss him sorely and it seemed like just yesterday when he was a healthy 95-year-old. He would have been 100 years old last month (August). So many "what if"s and so many regrets, so many words remained unsaid....

I vow that the next time a similar situation happen again, I shall spend every waking moment by creating happy memories while providing relief for the dying close one/loved one. Even if it means sacrificing my job.

Our time on Earth in this lifetime is already short enough. You can always find another job but not another same person. Treasure life, cherish the time we still have on Earth because we are all living on borrowed time.

Don't sweat the small stuff, don't worry about the big stuff. Gratitude/counting our blessing is the way to go.

When the highway of life comes to an end, I always believe that it's the little things in life that matters in the end. Have you told your loved ones "I love you" today?

NEVER GIVE UP

No comments: