Thursday 25 April 2013

Baked Beans - Love it or Hate it

I have not been a big fan of baked beans for as long as I remember.

I almost hated it, if there is a food I dislike the most it would be it. I am not a fussy eater but there is something about baked beans in ketchup that makes me turn my nose away whenever it is served in meals or when spread over bread. But still I will swallow the portion served on my plate, albeit with inward cringing.

However, in 2012, when I was invited by a nice American family for a meal at their home (Thank you, Lisa and family for that memorable experience), I was served baked beans as part of the meal and I mean it when I said I am not a fussy eater, I took a bite... MAN, the US baked beans are WAY TASTIER THAN THE BAKED BEANS SERVED IN MY COUNTRY!

I even asked my friend Lisa where I can get the canned baked beans and I brought a can home all the way via the long haul flight.

Some pix of 'Bush's Baked Beans', chose the 'vegetarian' version to bring home, beats me why the selection as it was a year ago when we made that purchase in Super Walmart!

I finally made a decent meal with that lone can of baked beans this month, a year later, I added an egg to it for taste and hubby commented, "Why can't our baked beans be as tasty as the US baked beans?" Beats me... I shall make a mental note to bring back canned food in our next trip to the US, whenever that is. ;)











No comments: