Tuesday 19 July 2011

Career Change? What Made Me Stick Around? Wacky Students (College "Kids")

This is a photo of students emulating the 'adults' in the working world. The spokesperson looks convincing, eh?

My students in action.
My ex-students during their Mock Press Conference in Class 2011



I think by now, if this isn't the first time you're reading my blog, you'd have known I'm a lecturer by profession, at least atm. Been in this job for the past two years and still counting, so far so good, my 'record' for the longest ever job I've held in my short life.

The following paragraph is only meant to be read if you are REALLY interested, if not just skip it. It's also to record my career progression while I still remember them before my memory deteriorates.
Been a journalist - both a news reporter and then a subeditor, left mainstream media for good, then I joined the new media and became Senior Editor for awhile, then changed to another company when the earlier new media company 'collapsed' and became Editor for another web-based company - eventually accepted my first lecturing post but the long drive to and back home (minimum THREE hours a day on the road) took a toll on me, especially my stress level and my health so I left that job. Decided to put my Masters to use (Corporate Communication) hence I took up a consultant job offer to offer Public Relations 'expertise' as an external agency to companies/organisations. Burnt out too fast in that job too.. and then I took up part time lecturing and odd jobs on a contractual basis (mostly editing and writing jobs) before landing myself this current position. 

My dad used to call me a 'grasshopper'/BM:Belalang, because I job hopped faster than you can say "change", that's an exaggeration, but when within 8 years you have had held 10 jobs after your undergrad years, I guess it has some truth to what my dad said.

So what made me stick around this time? My wacky students. They can be a pain sometimes but most of the time, they brought a smile and maybe a chuckle, and sometimes a roaring laughter to my otherwise 'dry' career. :-)
They dress up for the occasion when need be.

I think if you enlarge this pix, you will see that she's trying to be a local celebrity/supermodel.

They are certainly eye candies. Nice to look, nice to teach. I'm a female, so this is just another female appreciating female beauty. When you got it flaunt it while you still can!

The "Bad Boys" group will always be there, but without them the class gets a tad dull.

They are willing to go the extra mile to print out actual props for their assignments.

They show their potential and gave me very heart-warming moments when they showed me they get it, yes, gave me the feeling that I managed to drill that many information into their head!

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, height, ethnicity, religion, temperaments and behaviour. 
Some are self-proclaimed "Soh Poh" (silly girl)

Some improvised (a lot) and come up with less than tasteful props like these microphones

However hard they 'worked' and 'studied', the kids are always full of smile and fun to be with.

They imitate, they learn; they practice, they learn; they play, I think they learned too.

Some are wise beyond their years, some just look wise but still playful.

Don't you think this "Golden Arch" resembles our rear end?

Some of them are really memorable, some cos they have name like Onn Rei, some cos of how they behaved, some cos of how they looked like.
But most of all, it's their guts that only a young person will have that got to me, to remind me of youth that I'm leaving behind is being lived to the fullest by a newer generation (I'm not THAT old, but still.. the sentiment is there).

Taken just today: July 19th, 2011 - they are very creative in attracting people's attention - in pajamas and cross dressing. lol. Left to right, Elaine, me and Desmond. The boobs are too fake lah!

This should be Part 1 of many other parts of my life with College Kids. :-)


1 comment:

Sillie Piggie said...

we love u ms. sue yii!!! :P~