Wednesday 6 April 2011

Religious Tolerance - Quote From the Late Chief Reverend K Sri Dhammananda Nayaka Thera

A random search on my old blogs and this came up.

I actually paraphrased the quote I've heard in one of the talks I was fortunate enough to attend when the late Chief Reverend was still with us - the High Priest of Malaysia and Singapore has passed on five years ago on 31st August 2006.

"One thing that I have NOT done in my 54 years in Malaysia: I have NOT converted one person to Buddhism. If they are Christians and they came to me for advice/help, I ask them to go back to be better Christians, if they are Muslims or Hindus or Sikh or professed other religions, I ask them to go back and be better Muslims or Hindus or Sikh or practise their faith better. That is one thing which I have not done - to convert another to Buddhism" - Dr K. Sri Dhammananda.

With that, can't we all live with religious tolerance and continue to be happy without wanting others to 'conform' to our 'norms' because there is no such thing as the perfect 'norm'. Peace be unto you. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._Sri_Dhammananda

DHAMMANANDA’S THOUGHTS

"Happy is he who has lofty and noble aspirations.
Happy is he who enriches the lives of others.
Happy is he who allows others to live in peace.
Happy is he who makes this world a better place to live in.
Happy is he whose work, chores and daily tasks are labours of love.
Happy is he who loves love".

No comments: