Thursday 10 February 2011

Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University.. Teen Books that I Finally Gave Away

I was going through the books that survived many house-moving from across the South China Sea and travelled the thousands of kilometres over and over again. Five years back, when I was still in my 20s, I could not bear the thought of giving up the books that I bought with my savings (as a student) and read over and over again. Okay, repeatedly, shouldn't overuse 'over and over' here.. but that's exactly what I did more than a decade ago.

More than 10 years have passed and now, I finally could let go and bid my Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University series and novels goodbye. Dropped them at the recycling and donation bin near my parents' place in Kuala Lumpur today.

Initially, I wanted to keep some of them (or maybe all of them) for my younger cousins who are still in their mid-teens.. maybe for my eldest goddaughter who'll be 10 this year.. but then again, it's better to give away to those who are nearer to me geographically and even though I do not know who will be reading them, I sure hope they will bring reading pleasure to many teens or young and old adults if they do get hold of them.

Goodbye Sweet Valley and countless of other girly novels. I've moved on.

It's more of a relief than anything else. I'm actually glad I'm older now. How simplistic were the mindset of the younger girls (I was one of them) and I could not help but shake my head as I read through the synopsis and the back cover and flip through the yellowed pages. Anyway, Sweet Valley represents my teens and early adulthood, SWEET as it is, life has never been better and I'm sure it will only get better from now on.. like old wine. :)

Happy Valentine's Everyone, and Happy belated Lunar New Year to all those celebrating.

Let February be a sweet month for all of us.

xoxo (can't resist the 'hugs and kisses')

No comments: